June 09, 2013

Salad Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce Recipe

Yesterday I got some time to sneak on here and tell you what I've been up to this fine weekend. Well it's Sunday and as I said yesterday, it's time for a yummy salad/summer roll recipe. The names are interchangeable really. Whatever you want to call them - salad roll or summer roll. It's up to you, my dears! I guess I'm just used to saying salad roll. You can make these amazing rolls with anything inside. There's no set rule, and I think creating your own personal version is cool, don't you? You could even put fruit, like mango in here and it would taste amazing! I used chicken, but you can stick some shrimp in there instead. If you're vegetarian, maybe add some tofu. The nicest part about this recipe (and probably why I love it so much) is that it's gluten free. All you lovely people out there, like me that can't have gluten, can enjoy these too. Just make sure you get gluten free soy sauce! Okay let's get on with the good stuff. I bet you're ready for some food photos! I have a fear I'm going to have a craving for these again after this post is done...
Ingredients for the Salad Rolls

(Prepping is so important for this recipe. It takes a while to get everything prepped and ready for making, so keep that in mind if you are making them for a party!)

*julienned carrots
*julienned cucumber
*baked chicken cut into small strips
*vermicelli (rice) noodles
*rice paper wraps
*fresh cilantro
*lettuce (I used a Mediterranean blend for more flavour.)

That's it!

Ingredients for the Peanut Dipping Sauce

*3/4 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy. I love the extra texture!)
*1/3 cup water
*2 tbsp lime juice
*4 1/2 tsp soy sauce
*1 tbsp sugar
*2 1/4 tsp Sriracha
*1 garlic clove, minced into tiny pieces
*1/2 tsp sesame oil

You can make the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just take it out a while before serving, because it should be at room temperature for eating. Yummy! The taste of that sauce is incredible!

Okay, we're ready to start making the rolls!
Let's start preparing those veggies and the chicken. Preheat your oven and get your chicken in there
to bake while you're slicing away at your carrots and cucumbers. I put about three carrots and three cucumber pieces in each roll. You can add more or less, but use this as your guideline for how many you need to cut. Julienne both the carrots and the cucumber. They should be cut lengthwise and thin! Don't cut your fingers if you're cutting them by hand! Go slow and take your time.
Start boiling a pot of water for the vermicelli noodles. They cook fast, so you need to keep an eye on them at all times while cooking! Once the water is boiling, stick in your vermicelli and reduce the heat a bit. They should be soft in just a few minutes. Drain and put into a bowl. Don't worry about them not being hot anymore if they sit out. This is meant to be a cold dish. Also, if you're worried about your noodles sticking together too much, you can add a tiny amount of oil to the vermicelli.
Wash and pick the leaves off your cilantro. Next prepare your lettuce.

Okay now your chicken is cooked and sliced, and you're ready to start making your rolls!
This is the fun part! Open up your rice paper wrap package and have them out ready to go. Boil some water in a pan. Not too hot because you will need to gently cook the wraps and be able to get them out of the water without burning your fingers. What I do is let the water in the pan start to bubble, then I turn the element off and wait a couple minutes for the water to cool down enough that I can get "hands on" with my rice paper. If you're unsure about this step, you can also boil water in your kettle and then pour it into a pan. Just make sure you test the water! For this step you will need a fork and a plate to roll your salad rolls on. Now when you have your water at a good temperature, take a wrap and submerge it in the water. I like to hold a fork gently underneath one edge to help me lift it out. It will only take seconds for your rice wrap to become soft. If you've never done this before, it's okay. It's kind of like trial and error in the beginning. You'll find the balance right away. If it's too soft, the paper will break. If it's too hard, you won't be able to roll it up.
Okay, do you have your system down? Great! Now once you get your paper on the plate and you've spread it out a bit (Sometimes the edges like to stick together.) you can start putting on your ingredients. Near one edge (but not directly on) add your noodles, all your veggies and chicken. Now gently fold the edges in and start rolling back. Now you've got one roll. Wow, you're a pro. Are you sure you haven't done this before?
Keep repeating until you have your desired amount of salad rolls.
You may have to heat up your water in the pan again if the water cools down. I find it's easier to make a whole lot of these rather than just a couple. If you're done and you find you have left over ingredients, have a stir fry tomorrow! Or a salad!
Now for that yummy peanut sauce. It's super easy, mix all your ingredients in a bowl. It's easiest to use a spatula to whip it all up. It should be thick and creamy. Give it a taste. Awesome, right?! Yes! There you have it. Some party perfect salad rolls with peanut dipping sauce just in time for summer. Oh how I wish we could've eaten these outside in our backyard. I got the patio table and chairs out and washed them down. It was so hot out, and then suddenly the weather was awful. Oh well, at least we got to eat these! I hope you'll try these out and love them as much as we do. Be adventurous and add your own ingredients. Let me know how yours turned out!

Enjoy your Sunday, dolls!
I'm having my mom over for dinner, so I better go get ready!


Love,

Marissa xo
CharmingShop


P.S. Have you seen the sneak peek at my new collection on Instagram? Go to @marissahowes to find me and take a look, say hi or follow me there!


No comments:

Post a Comment