March 26, 2013

Cranberry and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe


Today's diy is of the kitchen variety. Baking to be exact. I really love cooking. I'm not so much into baking, but it seems like I've been doing a lot of it lately. A while ago I made these AMAZING cookies, and ever since then I could not stop thinking about them. They have a lot of ingredients and I like it that way. All the different flavours are what make them so good. But hey, if you have any allergies or you don't like my choices, feel free to make your substitutions. 


Here's what you'll need:

* 1 cup butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
 * 1/2 cup sugar
 * 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 1 and 1/4 cups flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
 * 2 cups oats
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* cashews for tops of cookies 
*ungreased baking sheet
 

The baking soda isn't in these pictures! So make sure you don't leave it out!
Got all that? Okay then let's get started!

First Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
I always leave my butter out (in it's wrapper!) overnight so it's nice and soft.
Cream together your butter, brown sugar and white sugar until it's completely smooth. (Today I only had white sugar, so I just put in 1 and 1/2 cups of white sugar. Trust me though, the brown sugar is totally worth it.) Beat in eggs one at a time. Once that's all mixed together, add your vanilla extract.
Next combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Make sure you've mixed this really well because next it's the dry ingredients, but you also don't want to overdo it either because this can change the way the cookies bake. So get it to the right consistency and stop. 
Good job!


Mix in your oats one cup at a time. 
Don't put them in all at once, because it can be too tough to stir it by hand. 
But look at it this way, you're building your muscles. That's what my mom and grandma always said!
 Next add your chocolate chips and cranberries. 
Guess what? It's time to get those babies into the oven!


No need to grease your pan...unless you want to. I never do for these cookies.
Form your cookies into little balls. Not too big or too small. About a large spoonful usually does it. You don't need to flatten your cookies, because they will flatten while in the oven. 
Now stick them in there (and be safe! The oven's hot!) and wait 12 minutes.
Time it right. These cookies are best if left for exactly 12 minutes!
 Weird I know, but I've got it down to a science. Trust me.


Alright it's been 12 mins now and you've just taken them out of the oven - safely, with oven mitts, I may add. At this point, your cookie will be very hot and extremely soft to the touch. There shouldn't be any signs of too much browning. They need a while to cool off, but before you leave them, decorate them with your cashews! I usually put a whole cashew on each cookie and when I have just bits and pieces I start getting creative. Okay now let them rest on the baking sheet for a while. 


It's 10 or 15 minutes later. Go check your cookies! They should be soft but a lot harder and easier to work with now. Carefully lift them from the sheet. You've got yourself an amazingly soft, melty cookie with the most flavour a cookie can possibly have. Seriously. They're so good.


I put mine into my vintage aqua Tupperware container, and I'm sure these will be devoured in the next few days. Not by me, sadly. I'm living the gluten free life lately, but my family can enjoy them!

Try out my cookies and let me know how it goes. Did you follow the recipe or did you try your own version? Experimenting in the kitchen is so much fun!
 Lots of love from my kitchen to yours

Marissa
CharmingShop






 





No comments:

Post a Comment