August 16, 2014

Summer Happenings

This summer has been crazy. Totally not excuse for falling away from posting, but we have been undergoing many changes. Small ones and big ones. I don't know why, but I always feel like our lives specifically are in a constant whirlwind of change. Do you ever feel like that too? I always get the impression our lives shuffle around faster than other peoples, but in retrospect, I'm sure that's not true. It just feels that way.
Our basement, all cleaned up before the walls came down. 
We have been tackling many things this season. We wanted to get an early start on organizing for our annual garage sale, while clearing our basement out for renovations anyway. Might as well kill two bird with one stone, right? In the midst of this, my mom suddenly decided to sell her home and that came sooner than any of us thought! I'm so happy she did though, because her new place is gorgeous, and I would happily move in there! 
We adopted a very cute Yorkshire Terrier, Shih Tzu cross named Leah. She was in desperate need of a home and we couldn't say no. She's just over a year old and has a lot attitude and energy. She's calmed down a lot since we've had her here, and she's taken a real liking to our cat Royal. She's fitting into our little family perfectly. And what's best is she seems at ease with my vintage hunting. She doesn't touch a thing. My favourite kind of pup!

This year, my dad bought a cabin too, so we have been trying to spend as much time as possible at the lake. I grew up going to the lake all summer, so being able to revisit that side of my life is a dream. Besides that, we're even thinking of the cabin for our wedding next summer! I think it'll become a very special place.
Thrifting and garage-saling has become a little hard to do lately. I try to hunt down the best of the best, but you have to sort through a million things before you find something worthwhile! It seems like I'm always working on the best days for pursuing. Luckily, on the days I have been able to get out there, I have unearthed some pretty insane things. I've definitely found some things I never thought I would touch or hold with my own hands, like two turquoise fibreglass shaded lamps with perfect atomic-style bases, a set of 3 teak wood lamps (Just got back from that hunt and my heart is still racing! I get too excited, honestly!) a fabulous Georges Briard Bar Cart and much much more. I always tend to go for the larger more furniture based items and that's bad!! I was jokingly telling my family that I would have to open up a brick and mortar or mobile shop to start making more space for my findings. Seems like a good future goal to me though! 
I used to post recipes on here, but I haven't in the longest time. One of my favourite past times is cooking. I can bake pretty good as well, but I never get too crafty or serious about it. In the last little while I've given up on being adventurous foodwise, so the recipes have stopped. I have a very sensitive stomach and I'm still fighting to get that under control. It leaves my cooking pretty uninspired and I am often confused about my dietary restrictions. After too many medically prescribed nutritional plans, I have found my own way to something that seems to be working! After 10 years of being a vegetarian, I have returned to eating meat. 

I know it's not a huge deal, but it sure was a big change for me. As someone who chose that and was on and off vegetarian for most of my life, I didn't know how to approach all these new things to incorporate into my food. I chose to be vegetarian base on many things, but in the end I realized eating meat along with cutting out certain foods like carb-based things was the right choice. I would choose to be healthy and thriving over just being "right" in my own opinion. Sometimes you don't have the luxury to choose things and for me, that's one of them. I can live with that. All I can say is, once I get my health back on track, maybe I can start a new set of recipes. I love to cook and create, so why not. I'm kind of looking forward to some normalcy there.
This is an incredible soup I've made twice from the blog Love&Lemons and I don't think I will ever stop making it. You can do so many variations of it and I like to leave mine a little chunky. It's kind of the best thing ever. 

Okay that's all for now! I went to the Farmers market and a tonne of garage sales today. I'm going to take a break and reflect on all my goodies. 

See ya later!


Marissa xo



No comments:

Post a Comment