August 30, 2014

Painting days.

We have started painting our basement and it looks phenomenal. I've had some swatches ready to go for a while now, because it's never too early to start paint plans. I think that having that little piece of colour is what inspired me to hang in there for the last two months. The state of things has been messy and unkempt, but we are so close to the finish line. Getting the first coat up was just what we needed to start seeing the finish line.
The style of the basement was always going to be mid century, but with a bit of a modern feel for my fiancé. He likes an older antique style mixed with brand new pieces, so it was important to incorporate more classic colours. For paint we chose "Barely Brown" and "Midnight in N.Y." by Behr. The former is a little creamy grey, that should appear pretty close to white. I'm truly looking forward to lightening up that space. Anything will really. It was a light, dusty salmon colour before. Midnight in N.Y. is our accent colour. It's a stunning and dramatic chalkboard-esque colour. Maybe a bit darker. We had a difficult time with this, because I had my heart set on a deep teal colour, until I remembered I have a royal blue couch. Those two colours were never going to sit well together. So back to the drawing board.

I'm not going to lie, there were a lot of compromises with this basement. We both have such different styles. It's going to serve so many different purposes - music room/recording studio/library/party room/relaxing area. You name it. Getting the style just right was so important. In the end I'm trying to envision the future and get a good space going for when we have a family, and then ultimately for when we're ready to move on and sell the house to some lucky new owners. 

Anyway, I think we have a good thing going. We have a nice new carpet purchased and ready to go, and this week I'll be spray painting our mantle. We also have some shelving to install for the library wall. It's a step by step process, but it's nearly there. And once it's done, the shop can get so much more attention. I'm so ready to get going. I'm nearly stocked up for a whole winters worth of listing.

I just wanted to share our colour palette choices today, and to let you know things won't be so scatterbrained so very soon. So feast your eyes on this!:
This turned out super Hallowe'en-y, but I assure you it's not! Computers always adjust colours in such weird ways. The wall is less pink toned and the darker accent has a dark blueish tint.

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to do something a little elegant. We're pretty whimsical upstairs, so why not step in and get a little more traditional where we can. Besides, the laundry room is going to be a bright shade of orange called "Cheese Puff". That's crazy enough!

Can't wait to show more before and afters!




Marissa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment