October 09, 2013

Orange Raspberry Bread

When I was young, my family was always baking. There was never a shortage of sweet treats around. My mom was always making cinnamon buns and shortbread cookies, and my grandma would make anything and everything from tarts to pies. Not just a normal amount, but enough to feed her entire family for weeks. That meant we always got  tupperware containers or vintage tins filled with goodies to take home. One of my greatest memories is waiting for my grandma's christmas desserts to thaw from our basement freezer. The only way we could eat them all was to freeze them. 
One of my favourite things to have from childhood was their loaves. I always loved having a warm piece smeared with lots of butter. Yum. And now that I have my own kitchen, I'm really drawn to making them for my own mini family. There's really nothing like a hot fruit loaf straight out of the oven. 
This is something I whipped up myself that we really enjoyed. It reminded me of when I was young, hence the introduction about my family and their baking addiction. It felt like my grandma or mom had made it for me with love, and that made the recipe even more special and delicious. There was something about the way the orange and raspberry blend together, that almost crystallizes and forms it's own glaze. Its tart, sweet, and I can honestly say one of the best things I've made in a while.You have to try it!

Here's what you need:

* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 2 tsp orange zest
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 orange juice (fresh squeezed)
* 2 cups raspberries

What you do:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees C. Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until it's light and fluffy. Then add the rest of your ingredients (except the raspberries) and mix the batter until smooth. Leave the raspberries until last so they stay whole. Grease a loaf pan, and pour the batter into it. Let the loaf bake for one hour, checking it periodically. After one hour, check with a toothpick to see if it's cooked all through. If not, an extra 15-30 mins baking can be tagged on to this time. (It will depend on the thickness of your loaf pan and also your oven temperature, but it will not take less than one hour.)
Once it's done, take it out and let it cool. I prefer to eat mine right away while it's still warm from the oven. As much as I love Fall foods, I needed a boost of something more energetic and lively. Fall is making me too cozy! Enjoy!


Marissa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment