May 09, 2013

Garage Sale Season - A Quick Look Into My Wardrobe

Like I said the other day, I'm preparing for our first ever garage sale in this house. I like to purge all my unwanted items. Clearing my life of clutter really frees up my mind as well as the space in my home. Not only that, but I enjoy the feeling of giving something away and knowing it'll go to someone else who can make use of it. 

I enjoy going to garage sales myself, but hosting is a thrill of it's own. I just like seeing where all my things are going. I like watching when someone gets excited over something I couldn't make room for in my life anymore. We all have those items that we push around and move from room to room, hoping one day it'll come in handy. Well our house is small, and I've come to the realization that there are just things I will never use in a space this size. And waiting for a day five years down the road when I can use it, is just not in the plan for us. 

It's okay to get rid of stuff. Having a garage sale means finding new homes for the items you once found special. So I'm okay with that. As a homeowner now I just try to think of long term value instead of a quick buy or sale.  Like shoes for instance. If I buy a pair of shoes I have to know I will get a lot of wear out of them, and that I can wear them with anything. I tend not to buy things I think I can only wear once to one party. Multipurpose is my new favourite word. 
 Anyway I've been delving deep into my closet and drawers. Man, there are tonnes of things I haven't seen in forever! But I thought this would be a good time to show you some of my favourite wardrobe pieces that coincidentally will not be going into my garage sale. They'll be sticking with me for many years to come. These are my multipurpose dresses. My little babies. 
 Left: I got this white 60s inspired shift dress five years ago to be my grad party dress (holy smokes...) This dress has certainly had a good life. It just goes to show you how timeless some pieces can be. I could wear this a few years down the road and you would never know I purchased it so long ago.

Right: This is a really pretty dress that so reminds me of Audrey Hepburn's dress in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Although I've never worn it with huge sparkling jewels all over me like she did, I always feel very feminine and elegant in this dress. It's structural design is so classic.
 Left: This is my essential spring and summer date dress. It's light and pretty and I enjoy bringing it out for special occasions of any kind. With a cute shoe or cardigan you can really change up it's look. The silhouette is perfect.

Right: I got this dress online for a great deal. I was so worried about the fit, but I was spot on. It fits me like a glove. And the 1950s shape and cute modern details make this one a showstopper that really can't go out of stye.

Left: This delicate dress is like a sweet 50s prairie style day dress. You can wear it around the house to do errands or dress it up for a night on the town. It's my go-to dress right now.

Right: This dress is my weakness. It's so sparkly and wild and out there with a poufy full skirt, but I adore it more than anything else in my wardrobe. I got it at a store in the U.S. when I was there about a year ago. it was prom season and they had this dress out. Once I tried it on, that was it. I had to have it. Again, it has a dreamy 1950s shape that I clearly can not get enough of.

See? It's not hard! If you're looking for value in your clothes when shopping, look for fit, silhouette and a classic look. You'll get more out of a dress you can keep for a long time.


My other addiction besides adorable vintage-looking (or real vintage) dresses?
Pins and brooches. I have been collecting them from a very young age, but since then I've really refined my style.
I've been working to get my collection down to my absolute favourites. I trimmed it down pretty good for the garage sale. If I can stop being so sentimental maybe more of my jewellery will make it into the garage sale bins. Who knows. I can't stop holding onto things for the wrong reasons. I have to break my habit!


I hope you enjoyed a little peek into my wardrobe. I know it wasn't too big. 
There's always more to come. I'll be working on getting my artwork up into the shop very soon, so bare with me! 

Love,

Marissa xo
CharmingShop

No comments:

Post a Comment