March 11, 2013

Best Beauty Basics

How are you today? Good? Good!
A little fun fact you don't know about me: previously I worked in the beauty industry for almost five years! Crazy, huh? Over the years I have picked up many tips and tricks and have had the chance to work with so many brilliant (and not so brilliant) products, and I thought I would share some with you.

What I've noticed lately is everyone seems to be going on holidays! Not me obviously. I wish! The weather is starting to warm up a little, but people are opting for some tropical destinations to lift their spirits. So what do you pack in that makeup bag? Well when traveling I always like to bring the best multi-use items. The more you can get out of one product, the better. Pack light so you can bring home more treasures and souvenirs!

#1 Elizabeth Arden Skin Protectant - You can use this to moisturize dry skin, to help heal burns, on your hands and cuticles, your feet, in your hair to tame frizz and fly-aways, to shape your brows, on your lips, on your eyelids for that wet look. Anything! This stuff has so many uses it's crazy. It does have a medicinal scent so if you don't like the smell, choose the unscented version!






#2 Any Soft Pencil Eyeliner or eyeshadow that matches your hair colour as close as possible - Okay this one's a little strange, I know, but it's awesome. Now try to choose a very gentle formula that is hypoallergenic. Ask if you need help. This works the best for light brown to darker hair. Now you have a product that can act as an eyeshadow or liner to define your eyes. Use it on your eyebrows to frame your face. And you can gently use it in your hair to mask roots! I am a natural blonde and I do this sometimes when I don't have the time to dye my hair. Make sure you keep your pencil or shadow brush clean!

#3 Eyelash Curler - So you probably noticed we haven't talked about mascara yet, and there's a reason. When you travel, mascara can be too messy and hard to take off. Effortlessness is key. You're already defining your eyes with product #2, so in #3 we are looking at eyelash curlers. You got me there, eyelash curlers only really do one thing, but it's essential to having lifted lashes to keep your eyes looking wide and fresh without mascara. Try it! I chose this picture, because this Shu Uemura curler is the one I have. It's a bit more expensive, but it will be with you for the long haul. My eyelash curler and I have been beauty partners for years now and I would choose it any day over any other kind. In the past I've had cheaper eyelash curlers, one of which got jammed and attached to my eye,         but that's another story. All I'm saying is go for quality here. It's worth it.



#4 Pink/Neutral Cream Formulas - Again, find a product that is gentle and hypoallergenic. Find a nourishing cream formula blush or even lip product (or 2 in 1.) My favourite is when you can find a cream palette. If you can find one with multiple browns, neutrals and soft pinks you've hit the jackpot. But please, if you're unsure ask your beauty expert, because some products aren't meant to be used certain places! For an example I'm showing you the Tarte Cheek Stain. If you find a stain too drying on the lips, add the Skin Protectant with it! (See what I just did there? These products are useful!) You can use a cream on your cheeks, lips AND eyes as an eyeshadow. Be careful with eyes though. Neutrals/ bronze tones work best on the eyes.




#4 Concealer and Foundation 2 in 1 - This Lise Watier one is super dreamy and gorgeous. It's one of the best I've come across, but there are others so feel free to stray from my choice! Here's the deal. Concealer and foundation are both necessary. If you want awesome holiday pics, you are going to need both. So save some room in your suitcase by getting a 2 in1. This Lise Watier foundation has a amazing coverage while still being fairly lightweight. If you're going somewhere hot it won't be melting off your face. Staying power is the best judge of a good foundation.


Alright you're all set to go. Have fun on your trip! Or if you're staying home like me, try this as your new simple beauty routine. Thanks for listening. I'm off to make some gorgeous earrings for CharmingShop. Pictures to come soon!

Marissa xo
CharmingShop





*All photos found on google

No comments:

Post a Comment