May 04, 2013

Retro Fabrics - Rethinking Your Bedroom

So this weekend I was tidying up our bedroom, which has somehow taken on the function of the dumping grounds for things we don't know what to do with. Right now I don't feel a sense of calmness in there or even a real connection to it. In fact, I suddenly realized that it doesn't reflect our style at all. We sort of neglected our own personal space. It's the only room in the house that I really didn't make plans for. Each of our rooms have a slight theme or a direction it's going in. Not our bedroom.

I love our tiny room and it's corner windows. I love the coziness of it. Yes, we will outgrow it eventually, but right now, It's our room and I think it should showcase who we are. And not who we were in the past. I have put a lot of things in there that were in our bedroom in our apartment, but they simply don't suit me or my style anymore. It's very glam. And right now I'm into function and simple decor. I like to pair feminine styes to gender neutral items. Right now it looks like it's full of dark, bulky, stuffy items. How did I accumulate all this stuff? 

In the day, the light comes through the window in such a gorgeous way. We have a big tree just outside our window and it's so close it always reminds me of camping as a young girl. I loved being out in the country and the way the air made you feel different out there. Sometimes I feel that way in our bedroom, but it's hard to get past all our stuff. I feel like that needs to come through somehow. Maybe a lean to more of a natural feel. What's a girl to do... Can you say complete overhaul?

I've been thinking about my fabric choices especially. I'm ashamed to say I have some pretty weird pillows on my bed right now - grey satin and black faux fur. Oh dear. They're really not our personality at all. I'm usually pretty good at style and decor choices. Clearly these things slipped through my fingers here, and I'm admitting this now so I can fix this mistake and have a lovely, peaceful room I want to go to at the end of the day.

Here are a few lovely fabrics I wouldn't mind in my room. And best of all, they suit our style!
Top (left to right): herehere, last photo source unknown.
Bottom (left to right): herehere, and here.
(Sorry if you're interested in these particular ones, I know a couple have sold... Just using them as examples.) 

These fabrics are so amazing, I want to make them into sweet little retro pillows and curtains right now!
I should be doing punches of colour in our room, because it's a dark beige, latte colour. We've got our neutrals down, so it's time to mix it up and have some fun. 

I am painting our kitchen this week (Yay!), so right after that, it will be bedroom overhaul time. Good thing we're having a garage sale in the coming months! 

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone! 
I'll be working on some special artwork for you!


Marissa xo
CharmingShop

No comments:

Post a Comment